by Sandy Kirby Quandt
This gluten-free bacon cheddar chicken pot pie recipe is pure comfort food. I would suggest you make the biscuits first and have them ready to add to the rest of the dish instead of trying to make everything at the same time. It’s rather difficult to stir vegetables while you squish butter and flour through your fingers.
I would also suggest you have your 1/4 cup gluten-free flour, 1/2 cup broth whisked together, and your 3 1/2 cups broth measured out and ready to go ahead of time.
- 4 oz bacon – 6-8 strips
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions – not thawed (or you can dice up a medium white onion)
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices (As you can see from the picture, Pilot likes his carrots on the chunky side.)
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour ( if you use g-f Bisquick mix, don’t add the baking powder)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
Cook the bacon in a 10-inch oven proof skillet over medium heat until crisp. 8-10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Roughly chop when cool.
Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
In a bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup gluten-free flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Add the gluten-free flour/broth mixture to the skillet, then add the remaining 3 1/2 cups broth, 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are tender and the mixture has slightly thickened. 10-12 minutes.
Fold in the chicken and peas. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour, 1/4 cup Cheddar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the butter. Rub the mixture between your fingers until fine crumbs form.
Fold in the bacon. Using a large fork, gradually add 1/2 cup buttermilk, mixing until just combined.
Form the dough into 6 biscuit shaped pieces and place on top of the filling. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through. 22-25 minutes.
If you think others would appreciate reading this, please share it through the social media buttons.
I wish you well.
Please sign up to receive posts every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Thanks!